This week started out with a day with Nana. All my kids were out of school for a regularly scheduled teacher training day, so I took them all down to my Mom and Dad's while I went to counseling and then we hung out until we had to leave for a dentist appointment for Cecily. She was just getting the sealant put on that we couldn't do at our last appointment because she had two adult teeth that hadn't grown in far enough. Steve worked from home that day because he wasn't feeling well.
We were supposed to hold activity days at our house on Tuesday evening, but since Steve had a fever Monday, and things were starting up with Corona Virus, I cancelled it. And now all church activities have been cancelled for the foreseeable future. I wish I was more broken up about this.
Emilia did have Young Womens that night. They taught each other their favorite board games, which I, of course, thought sounded like a super fun activity. Emilia was excited to share Lords of Waterdeep. After dropping her off, I headed to my friend, Gina's house to help her get her house prepped for having her parents come stay with her. I always feel better after spending time with her, so it was totally beneficial for both of us.
Wednesday, (I think it was Wednesday--this week has felt all time-warp-y like the Twilight Zone) the governer issued a press statement shutting down all large group meetings. And later that day, President Nelson announced church meetings worldwide would be suspended until further notice.
Thursday, it was announced that the schools would close for two weeks. I was feeling very calm about it all, very peaceful. Like we were doing all the right things at the right times to keep things from getting out of control. And then Jules ran out of whole milk, so we needed to run to the store.
I was dumfounded by the state of the Smiths down the road from us. Photo evidence:
Everything was wiped clean. There was no produce. No meat. No pasta or canned fruit or staples like rice, flour, and sugar. There was not an ounce of any bread-like substances. I'm really grateful our church has advised us to have a year's supply of food storage. I haven't been as diligent in following that advice as I should have been. But we could survive for a month at least on what we have stored. There are things like laundry detergent and TP! and hand sanitizer and children's tylenol that I wouldn't have thought of in relation to *food* storage. But now I know.
It freaked me out a little bit though. How much people were panicking. I was more afraid of people's reactions than I was of the actual virus. Why are people stocking up like our food chain is broken? I really don't understand. It might break if people don't calm down, but right now, things would be mostly normal if people weren't freaking out. *sigh* I'm just praying they stop freaking out before we go through our two packages of Costco toilet paper, or we may have to start using our showerheads as bidets.
The kids also had parent-teacher conferences on Thursday night. It's always such a pleasure to hear how awesome my kids are. I'm so proud of their efforts. They aren't straight-A students, but they do well in most subjects and their teachers always love their attitudes and respectfulness.
I'm going to be sad if schools are shut down for the rest of the school year. Not only because we will probably all go crazy if I have to monitor their school work for that long, but because they have awesome teachers who are really good for my kids. Emilia's teacher especially is blowing me away. During her conference, he mostly talked about how she's working to overcome her social anxiety and the things she can do to be a happier human and what steps she needs to take to achieve the goals she's set for her future. He's teaching her way more than math and English I would be sad if she couldn't interact with that kind of positive reinforcement anymore.
Friday was a minimal day because of PECs and the kids mostly entertained themselves because I was determined to get some work done on book covers. I hadn't had a chance to make any yet this week and it was making my brain itch.
I got to see one of my roommates from my second go-round with college on Saturday. She was in town for a symposium. She was my favorite roommate then and we've kept in touch the entire 18 years since then. It was lovely to see her and kind of sad that we couldn't hug hello or goodbye. It was actually super awkward. I wish I would have been introduced to the elbow bump before then! :D
Today, me and my parents and Alison and Ben (and families) got together for our monthly birthday dinner. My mom and Mira and Dylan all have birthdays this month. We had ham and funeral potatoes and asparagus and jello and rolls. Mmmm. It was actually sunny and warm and all the kids ran around outside and got some of their cabin fever out.
And of course, to end my post, some obligatory cute Jules pics.
She was just so intent on "reading" this book. I thought it was adorable. She would turn the page and just stare for a minute, and then turn the page again. Until she realized that I was taking a picture and then I had to read it to her. Along with all the other books in the living room.
Jules was sad one day, so Mira pulled her up on the couch and Cecily found her favorite kitty stuffed animal and Emilia found her blankie and she calmed down. It was so sweet.
Turning on Baby Signing Time helped, too.
She's picking up on the signs so quickly. She knows hat, shoes, bubbles, thank you, more, milk, food, me, you, stop, bird, and probably more than I'm forgetting. She tries to sign most of the things she says even though she's not saying words and she doesn't know any more signs. But she's always moving her hands while she jabbers now. I find it adorable.
Also, if you haven't seen the videos of her dancing on Facebook, you are missing out. You should find someone with a Facebook account and make them show you. :)




No comments:
Post a Comment