Hello from isolation land! *waves across the interwebs at everyone else on the planet*
Isn't this craziness? Life as we knew it exploded. Utahans decided that the Mormon mantra of "moderation in all things" is completely out the window and started the worst panic buying shortage in the nation. My kids are at home 100% of the time and so is my husband. I'm officially a homeschool mom for the foreseeable future.
And the craziest part of it? I'm LOVING it.
Besides worrying about how other people are panicking over COVID-19, this is the least amount of anxiety over life in general I've had since before Jules was born. (Pregnancy hormones make me feel like I have a huge dose of dopamine driplined into my blood stream.)
Who knows? Maybe in 3 weeks I'll be singing a different tune. But maybe not. Maybe homeschooling is like my nirvana. :)
The kids didn't have schoolwork Monday and Tuesday. Those days were pretty much free-for-alls where I was just trying to keep them from consuming 70 hours of television in 1 day. But Wednesday they started classwork and it went really smoothly. Emilia and Mira can do everything independently. Cecily needs my help reading the assignments and figuring out how to get to them and such. Some of the things I need to do with her. Like she's supposed to read out loud to me for the reading portion of her schoolwork.
After a couple of days of this, Jules decided she'd had enough of being ignored for 1.5+ hours a day and threw an enormous fit. So she got her screen time on Friday while her sisters did their schoolwork.
She loves Baby Signing Time, just like Emilia did. She's added hot, cold, water, ball, and dog to her repertoire this week.
Some fun things we've done together this week:
Had a magnetic tile building contest.
Played frisbee golf. Mira and Cecily and I played all nine holes on the greenway behind our house. Jules came along for the ride and ended up walking (while holding my hand) for almost 1/2 the route.
Played games. I've played Star Wars Yatzee with Cecily and Mira, War (card game) with Cecily, Splendor with Emilia and Steve (Emilia and I tied, beating Steve!), and Ori and the Will of the Wisps with the whole family watching (video game).
Played basketball (horse). Me and the girls went down to the park during one of Jules' naps and played horse. It was a pretty poor game as I think the basketball standards were at regulation 10 feet so Cecily couldn't make any baskets. Emilia only made two. And Mira opted out in order to rollerblade instead.
Watched home safaris. Cincinnati Zoo does a home safari every day where they feature one of the animals at the zoo. The keepers feed them and exercise them and tell you about them. They answer questions live through facebook. It's really fun. We've learned about their hippos, sloths, ocelots, and lions. Yesterday was penguins but we forgot to watch, so that will happen tomorrow.
Supported local restaurants. We got Chubby's (a local diner) and it was AMAZING. We will definitely be going back. We also had Chick filA and Wendys. (I don't know if those count as local restaurants.) I think we'll be buying gift cards for some of our other faves soon, too. Especially if we get a kickback from the government we don't need.
Did a photo scavenger hunt. We found this scavenger hunt online and then went to downtown Pleasant Grove and took pictures. It started off as a contest, but we ended up just going through everyone's pictures and commenting and oohing and ahhing. I absolutely loved this activity. It kept us outside for almost 2 hours (the kids played at the playground after we finished with the photos), we talked and laughed and were creative together, and we ended up with some really fun photos. Also, just before we left, Cecily got herself stuck on the slide and Steve had to help her get down (or up):
My cover business is finally picking up steam. I got two new custom clients in the last four days. Yay! I'm so excited for this business to take off. I love doing the work so much it doesn't feel like work.
Jules had a doctor appointment this week, too. She is in the 91st percentile for weight, the 98th percentile for height, and the 92nd percentile for head circumference. She's also way behind in her gross motor skills, though she's fine for everything else. I think it's mostly because she's terrified of falling. She doesn't want to walk on her own because she doesn't like the feeling of falling down. She doesn't climb onto furniture because of the same thing. She climbs up and down our 2-story stairs just fine, but they have walls on both sides, so it doesn't feel like she can fall. But if I take her to the park and ask her to climb the 3 steps to the slide, she freaks out on me--like screams at the top of her lungs and demands to be picked up and taken away from the horror.
So....we're a little behind on that. But I'm not too worried about it. Yesterday Steve got her to take 5 or 6 steps on her own. But the second I walked into the room, she dropped to the ground and cried every time he let her go. Turkey butt.









No comments:
Post a Comment