Sunday, June 5, 2016

Charmed Life

Last week, I told you about my plan to institute chores over the summer and on Monday, I introduced it. Here was the plan: In order for them to be able to watch TV each day, they had to earn the privilege. This is the sheet with the rules.


Then, online, I found some sheets with pictures of chores on them (so Mira could pick her 1 chore for the day without help). I hung this page and the chore pictures on the magnet board in their room. They also each get $0.50 each day they earn screen time during the week, so $2.50 a week if they earn screen time every day, M-F.

It's been going spectacularly. They've been complaining less, watching less television, and doing chores. This is big, people. My kids helped out with almost nothing around the house. And this week alone, they watered plants, weeded the garden, unloaded and loaded the dishwasher, fed the cat, took out the trash, and washed the windows. And that's on top of making their beds every day, doing acts of service, and cleaning up their toys every day.

I'm still skeptical this will last without major arguments, but man, this week, it was like living a charmed life!

Mira and Emilia also started their classes this week. Emilia's went beautifully. She got to ride a horse and learned about how to safely approach and walk around the back of a horse. I think it will go well. Mira's, on the other hand, went about as well as a commuter train derailing and killing all the passengers. They hadn't even got past warm-ups before she was a sobbing mess. She wouldn't move except to get out of people's way. She wouldn't even try to do the things she was being shown. She just sobbed and said, "I can't do this! I'm terrible at hip-hop!" over and over again. I tried to be understanding. I totally get not wanting to look stupid or incompetent in front of a bunch of people. I understand that she was psyched about this class and thought she was going to be awesome right off the bat. So when she couldn't even follow the warm-up routine, she was crushed. But it bugged me that she wouldn't even try. Luckily for all of us, the owner of the studio was there and observed the class. Since it was supposed to be for 5-8 year olds, Mira was probably the youngest kid there. The owner decided to split the class into younger and older groups starting next week. I hope it will go much better this time. *sigh*

Cecily slept in one day until almost 10 am, so I was able to get a non-dark sleeping picture of her. Love when she's still almost as much as I love her energy.


On Monday, we went up to my parents' house to celebrate Memorial Day and the May birthdays, Cecily and Ford. My parents gave her a new "beep beep" zebra and some additional tracks. Her birthday present from us arrived during the week, too, so we saved it to give to her on Monday. It was a figurine from Star Wars Rebels, and two Look and Find books: Doc McStuffins, and Mickey Mouse Club. She was super excited about all of it.


On Tuesday, she got all of her Go-Go Smartwheels out (she calls them beep-beeps) and played with them for the rest of the week, so it was a great gift for me, too. Thanks Mom and Dad!

I love Mira's hair in this picture. She is the only one of our kids that will fall asleep in the car.


Wednesday is the day that ALL of the girls classes are. It was a crazy day and I took no pictures of anything. On Thursday, the girls let me sleep in and I rewarded them by taking them to the splashpad.


Emilia wanted to try on my headphones and then giggled and said she looked like a DJ. I can't disagree. :)


We also went to play tennis with the girls on Friday night. We've been taking them once a week and they all love it, even Cecily, since Steve helps her swing the racket and therefore, she's even better than her sisters. :) After the girls were in bed, Steve and I had our weekly date and watched The Imitation Game. It was really well done, and the story was amazing and disturbing at the same time.



I put Cecily's hair in pigtails today, and she looked so cute, I couldn't help but take some pictures. Since I took my phone out, though, Cecily thought she needed to play on it. She wasn't happy when I told her no.



Happy Sunday everybody!

No comments: