Monday, October 3, 2011

You-pick berry farm = yummy

I discovered via some friends at church that Utah has a number of you-pick berry farms.  I LOVE fresh berries, but they are always so expensive at the store: like $2.50 for 6oz of raspberries, blackberries, or blueberries.  That's over $5 a pound! But in checking out the you-pick berry farms, I discovered that if you're willing to put in the elbow grease, you can get raspberries and blackberries for $2.50 - $3.00 per pound!! How heavenly, right? So, I decided to check out a couple of them.  First we went to one in Mapleton with my good friend Camber Childress.  Then the next week we went to one in Payson with my friend Shawna from church, and Haylee Frohlich.  I only took pictures the first time:

Emilia with one of Camber's daughters, Cassie.
Camber holding her bucket and the girls' bucket. Emila was excited because they had small buckets there with Tinkerbell on them.
This was the first time I had done this, so I didn't think to bring a belt to put the bucket on, or something to carry Mira in, or hats for any of us.  In my defense, though, it was overcast when we left and it rained after we finished.  The weather was kind enough to clear up and get HOT while we were picking. (Yes that's sarcasm.)
We had kind of a picnic lunch while we were there, and there were three young cows grazing just a few feet (and a barbed-wire fence) away.
The grass was all wet, so Mira got to play on the table.
That evening, I decided to make good use of the berries and make crepes.  I made wheat-, soy-, and dairy-free crepes and they were delicious!
All the outdoors-ness and the cows and caterpillars and such really made me want to move to the countryside. Maybe someday. :)

2 comments:

Stacey Wright said...

I want to do that! There probably isn't one even close to Logan though. Do you know of any?

Photo Girl said...

Stacey--I found mine on pickyourown.org. A quick review showed that there are some pick-your-own farms in Cache county, but not for berries. Sorry.