Sunday, February 12, 2017

Mischievous Meister

Cecily has been even more mischievous than usual lately. She broke our new bathroom sink a little over a week ago.


She markered all over the wall the next day.


On Friday, she figured out how to take the cover off the 5 gallon bucket of flour I keep in the kitchen, took it into the living room, and started playing in it--with her toys.

I know she didn't mean to break the sink. Even if she had meant to break it, I'm not sure she couldn't have done it quite so beautifully. She had decided to squirt water all over the mirror, then wipe it off with a full-size towel (because my kids think that's 'helpful'). As she pulled the towel down, it grabbed the vase on the counter (the green one in the picture) and dropped it into the sink. Voila.
Broken sink, perfectly intact vase. I heard glass breaking and I was ready to be upset with her for playing with my vase, but when I walked into the bathroom and the vase was fine, I didn't even yell. I was just so incredulous.

I know she meant to marker all over the wall. Though she told me while she was cleaning (and saying, "Mom, this is so hard!" "This is taking too long!") that she wanted to write like Mira. She thought that Mira had written the saying on the wall when Mira slept up there. It was kinda cute that she wanted to emulate her sister. But she still got to clean it all off.

She also meant to stick her toys in a bucket of flour, but at least it was almost empty so it didn't waste too much. *sigh* It's a good thing she's so cute.

Mystery (our cat) has also been extra mischievous lately. She HATES snow. Refuses to walk on it. So she didn't go outside for a LONG time. Our house is not as entertaining as chasing birds and small rodents. Can you spot her in the picture below?


Our weeks have not been too busy otherwise. I finally finished my latest round of edits on my book last week and we went out for dinner to celebrate. We were going to go to a place called Bruges Waffles and Frites (who could resist waffles and fries?), but it's in downtown Provo and it was a Friday night and it was cold and rainy. There was absolutely no parking anywhere near the place. The closest was almost 3 blocks away. So we drove up to orem and waffled  the whole way (see what I did there?) about where to go. Finally we decided we'd get fast food for the kids and then check out a new bbq place for me and Steve. Steve decided to go to Wendy's even though I told him McDonalds would be better and we sat in the drive through for 30 minutes even though I told him going inside would be faster. He didn't believe me. Wendy's is NOT fast food during rush hour. So over an hour after we left the house, we finally arrive at the bbq place starving and they literally have 1 rack of ribs left. Like that's all the meat they had left in the entire store. No pork, no brisket, no chicken. Not even a hot dog or brat. 1 rack of ribs. *Le sigh* At least the ribs were better than I expected.

We tried out the game Kingdom Hearts one night using an emulator. We were all a bit weirded out by the game. Mira decided to take some pictures while we waited for Steve to set it up.




Last Saturday we were able to attend cousin Meg Nelson's baptism. The girls loved playing with their cousins as always, there was lots of good food, and the baptism was spiritual. Aren't days like that wonderful?


Cecily was having a rough night one night, so Steve just held her for a little while until she fell back to sleep. I couldn't resist snapping a picture. So cute.


With all the craziness going on with the executive orders and people hating the president, I decided it might be a good idea to teach my kids a little bit more about the Constitution. So two Mondays ago, we did a family home evening that told how we revolted against England and then talked about the miraculous circumstances involved in writing such an inspired document. We also read the prophecy about the revolutionary war in the Book of Mormon.

Then last Monday, Steve talked about how the Constitution set up the three parts of our government and what those three parts do. We, of course, used My Little Ponies to represent this. Princesses Luna and Celestia as the two parts of the legislature, Princess Twilight as the judicial branch, and Princess Cadence as the executive branch. The mini ponies represented the "people" who get to vote. It went really well.


Cecily has been into games lately and she beat me three times at Candyland this week. The third time she got close, she said, "Oh yeah. I'm almost dere," and raised the roof. No lack of confidence in this one. At all.


Friday afternoon, I wanted to make sugar cookies, so I invited our friends, the Ables, over to make them with us. It seems far less tedious when I get to chat with an adult the whole time and the kids entertain each other when they get bored instead of whining at me.


She looks like an ad for sugar cookies, but she only ate two bites before telling me she didn't like it.


This week, I plan to start a new exercise program, do a final read-through of my book before sending it out to beta readers again, and meeting with my writing group. Should be an exciting week!