Friday, February 8, 2013

My Little Pony Spa Day (a.k.a. de-frizzing and re-curling ponies' hair)

Today was a stay-at-home-all-day day.  After yesterday, I didn't want to risk it (I'm kidding...mostly), plus I was still feeling a touch under-the-weather.  So I thought to myself this morning, "What can I do with the girls on the cold, wintery, day to keep us all occupied for a few hours?"  Then I remembered this pin from a while back about fixing frizzy doll hair.  I wondered if it would work the same on My Little Pony Hair.  After a quick google search, I found a page about restoring My Little Ponies.  Perfect.

Emilia has more than a small obsession with them (no--we haven't seen every episode on Netflix 7-8 times--I have no idea what you're talking about), and Mira is picking up on it.  I love how she says "Wywight" for Twilight Sparkle, and can perfectly pronounce "Pinkie Pie!"

Emilia got the idea from her cousins, not long after starting her My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic collection, that it would be great fun to bring her ponies into the tub with her.  Which is fine.  But after the 50th bath and a lot of pulling and rubbing and general messing-with their hair got, it was looking a little sad.  With some of her newer ponies, she wised up and stopped taking them in the tub.  Their hair has stayed a lot nicer.

An example of pony hair that has seen better days (Rainbow Dash):


Since fixing their hair would involve playing in water and playing with ponies, I knew both my girls would not only be up for it, they would LOVE it.  Of course, I didn't call it "fixing the ponys' hair."  I told Emilia we could do a "My Little Pony Spa Day."  (Being a sly mom, I also told her we couldn't do it until we cleaned the house.  I thought she would go for it, but she was my enthusiastic helper for a couple hours! She was SO exited for the ponies to have their spa day--it was wonderful!)

After all the cleaning, this kinda-sick momma needed a short rest, so the girls got to watch an episode of My Little Ponies.  This was totally appropriate, I thought, because there are several episodes where the ponies go to the spa. In Season 1, Episode 20: "Green Isn't Your Color," Rarity and Fluttershy go to the spa several times.  The ponies also go to the spa at the end of Season 1, Episode 9: "Bridle Gossip" when they need to soak in a poison joke remedy.  The season 2 finale, A Canterlot Wedding: Parts 1 & 2, might be good, too.  Emilia seems to think that in order to get ready for a wedding, one must have a spa day.  She might be right.

I haven't watched a few episodes, really.

Finally all of Emilia's (mostly) patient waiting paid off and we were ready for our My Little Pony Spa Day. We set up on the kitchen table, so we had plenty of room:

We bathed them.  This was Mira's favorite part.


We conditioned and combed, straightened, and curled.  Emilia loved every minute of it.  Mira went to nap time about an hour in, which was probably good.  Who knows how much water would have been everywhere had she been around for our entire 3-hour process (Emilia has a LOT of ponies).








Here are Rainbow Dash's and Pinkie Pie's before and afters, and some of the other ponies in all their finished glory.





If you want to check out the tutorial I did for my new public blog, you can go here.  If you have a Pinterest account and pin it for me, I will love you forever!

1 comment:

Stacey Wright said...

Wow! Seriously it worked? I was waiting for the fail part. I'm feeling nervous about a spa day with Evan around but Sadie's princesses have also had many baths. Rapunzel. Shudder.