Friday, May 15, 2009

Emi's new way of getting attention...


...should earn me the worst mom of the year award. I'm embarrassed to show this to everyone, but you must know. Ta da!



The Story:

Monday evening Emilia fell asleep on the bed. Rather than move her to her crib and risk waking her up, I let her sleep on my bed. She doesn't move around much when she wakes up from a nap on the bed. Usually she just lays there talking to herself and playing with her blankie. Of course, that's not what happened on Monday. She woke up and I heard her talking to herself and decided to finish up what I was working on and then go get her. Well, like a minute later, I heard a THUMP! THUMP! and ran upstairs. Emilia was on the floor crying. I picked her up and rocked her and sang to her and finally distracted her by turning on the television. She stopped crying and sat with me through the show. I thought she had just bumped her head (she did have a large red spot on her forhead where she must have hit it). Later that night, though, I realized that she wasn't wanting to put weight on her right leg and wouldn't walk like she LOVED to do. So Tuesday morning I had Steve and a friend of ours from church give her a blessing and then when the doctor's office opened I made her an appointment. The doctor checked her out and couldn't find anything wrong, so he told me to watch it for a day to see if it got better. It didn't, and so Wednesday morning I took her for an x-ray at the hospital. I didn't hear from anyone about it all that day, so right away Thursday morning, I called her doctor's office. The nurse told me that it wasn't broken and I should just ice it and give her ibruprofen. I thought that was odd, since she still wouldn't use that leg, but what was I supposed to do about it? Then, about an hour later, the doctor's office called me back and said, "I'm sorry, when I talked to you earlier, we only had the x-rays of the femur. We got the x-rays of the tibia and fibia and it is broken. We'll make an appointment with the orthapeadist to get her cast." So my baby girl got a cast put on her leg at 2 o'clock yesterday afternoon and she has to wear it for the next 4 weeks. She can't take a bath and she can't jump in her jumper for 4 weeks! I feel so bad for her! (and me too, a little bit) Good thing it's summer, or this could be a long 4 weeks for me. :) She's holding up well so far. It doesn't seem to bother her that she's got a purple weight on her leg except that it's harder for her to get around.

So there you have it. My poor little adorable baby girl broke her leg falling off the bed.

4 comments:

Alycia said...

Oh, I'm so sorry! If it makes you feel any better, my sister-in-law's little 11 month old Aubrynn broke her arm by falling off the couch. She had a little purple cast too:) Also Jesse broke his arm when he was little and no one knew about it until two weeks later. Yeah, my mom felt really bad about that one! Good luck in the next few weeks!

Fox and Amy said...

I had to jump on and see Emi's cast. What a little trooper! I am totally guilty of so many things with Cash (um, I don't even want to go into it, but it involves a plastic bag, a ton of pillows, and a too-long pacifier clip..oops), so I feel your pain! Can we come over and sign it :)?

Canyonsrcool said...

Wow. I'm glad she's okay!

Heather said...

Each of my kids have fallen from a bed, couch, counter top, or down the stairs multiple times. I consider myself lucky that we haven't had any such breaks. Don't feel guilty! But she is kinda cute with the cast and all.