Last Sunday we did a lesson about our foundations of faith. For an object lesson, we split up into teams and tried to build castles out of wooden blocks. One team had to build on the thick living room carpet for a foundation. The other team got a book to set on top of the carpet. The team with the book was able to keep their castle from falling over an made a tall, sturdy building with a fountain and flowers out front. The castle on the carpet kept collapsing. In the end, Cecily was able to build a decent castle, but it needed a lot of shoring up and she wasn't able to make it very tall.
We compared that to the kinds of foundations we need to build our faith and testimonies on. We wrote down our ideas of what our family's cornerstones are and asked ourselves if there were any areas we needed to work on to make our foundations sturdier.
I thought it turned out to be a good lesson. If anyone is interested, I based the lesson on the different starting points of Alma, Amulek, and Zeezrom's testimonies in Alma 8-12 and Elder Gary L. Stevenson's talk, "A Good Foundation against the Time to Come," from April 2020 General Conference.
The castle on the book:
The castle on the carpet:
Another attempt at the castle on the carpet later on. Cecily had learned some tricks by then. :)
The next day, she was doing her creative time with the blocks and spelled "citchin" on the kitchen counter.
Monday night, we went out to dinner at a local restaurant because Steve's work gave him $50 to spend to help local businesses. We chose the Trolley in Springville because Steve really liked their chicken sandwich and eggroll appetizer and I LOVE their rosemary garlic cheese fries.
After we arrived (it's a 35 minute drive from our house), we found out none of those things were on their updated for Covid 19 menu. We were all sad-faced over those and not super impressed with the items we did end up choosing.
I was still grateful to not have to make dinner that night, though. And any kind of french fries are better than no french fries in my book.
On Tuesday, I did our first in-person Activity Days meeting since Covid started. We got together outside and played frisbee golf with our own frisbees. That's a super easy activity since the course is in our backyard. After we finished our 9 holes, the boys jumped on the trampoline for a few minutes and I gave them ice cream sandwiches for a snack.
Emilia also had her first in-person Young Women's activity that night. They were supposed to go ice blocking, but all the local stores were sold out of ice blocks, so they played water-balloon volleyball instead. It was really cold that night though -- like 55 degrees, so she came home freezing.
We went to visit my mom on Wednesday and joined the Childresses at Thanksgiving Point gardens on Thursday. We ate a picnic dinner there and wandered around for an hour and a half. They had to go after that, and I took the girls home and put them to bed.
Friday, we had another pizza taste test, this time with four pizza places in Springville: Main Street Pizza, Two Jacks Pizza, Zubs, and Pier 49. Main Street Pizza took a resounding lead with 4.7 out of 5 stars. Two Jacks and Pier 49 were mid-range around 3.5 and Zubs was only like a 2 because they put more cheese on the pizza than the girls liked. I think Cecily gave it 1.5 stars.
I think Pier 49 would have done better if we'd done a specialty pizza, but the kids won't eat anything but pepperoni and the pepperoni was kinda bland. I got a gluten-free Nob Hill and it was delicious. Even then though, both pizzas at Pier 49 were way overpriced at $17 each for a medium. The Main Street Pizza large was only $14, I think. Still more than Little Ceasars by a lot, so they'll still get a ton of business from us, but if we're wanting something a little classier, Main Street Pizza and Village Baker are our go-tos now.
Saturday, I set up to spend some time with my mom without my kids. We were going to get pedicures and then do a craft together, but it didn't work out quite like we planned. We did get our toenails painted by Alison and they turned out great.
Here's my mom's:
Here's mine:
Today, we made breakfast in bed for Steve, had church, and now I'm going to go make some lemon bars and get ready for pork chops and red potatoes for dinner. Happy Father's Day to my dad, my uncles and my father- and brothers-in law! I love you all!










No comments:
Post a Comment