Sunday, May 1, 2016

Retreat in the mountains and everyday stuff

It's been a busy couple of weeks. Or maybe I should say it's been a normal couple of weeks. Busy is pretty normal for me.

I'll give you the highlights version and then caption the four hundred pictures.

Last weekend I got to go to a writing retreat up Ogden Canyon thanks to my marvelous mother and husband (who took care of the girls). It was beautiful and relaxing and there was no internet AT ALL, so despite feeling like one of my arms was cut off, I was incredibly productive. I got 12 days worth of writing done in roughly 28 hours (and that includes about 6 hours of sleep).



The American Night Writers Association LDS chapter sponsored the retreat, so it was 22 LDS women writers (many of which were super weird, but a few of which were totally cool and I would be friends with them) in a house they had rented. Imagine a house big enough to sleep 22 people -- all of them in their own beds. Isn't that crazy? Who can afford that? There was an excellent keynote address, some games, and some socializing. Plus meals were provided. I mostly went to be productive, so I didn't do much of the games and socializing, but I exceeded my goals and helped me relax, so it was perfect.

Jus' writin' with Jesus (and his golf tees). Gotta love the decor at rental homes. :)

Keynote in the living room.

I have had four meetings of the Creative Writing Club I got hired to advise and it's not going super well. Most of the time I have one attendee. But I am not complaining. I get paid and I get teaching hours for it, so it's the perfect job. Plus the girls are honing their art skilz.



The weather's been sort of nice, but mostly rainy. We had a few days warm enough to go to the park and blow bubbles. But mostly it's just rained. Stupid, gloomy, rain.

The closest thing to a merry-go-round since my childhood.



I got to go to the temple a couple of times, and my church stake has a Humanitarian Work Center where I went and helped sew things for ladies in Africa. The girls had dentist appointments and Mira had a well-check where the doctor and I decided Mira must have just had a growth spurt since her tallness percentage went up significantly. (She's still not tall.)

I always love the flowers at the temple.

There's lots of other every day things that went on. Shenanigans and housework, writing and game playing (Steve got a new game called The Castles of Mad King Ludwig and it's pretty fun), cleaning and reading and school.

Next weekend I get to go to the LDStorymakers writing conference and I'm super excited. La lala! I entered the first chapter contest and I'm pitching my book to a publisher, so wish me luck!

And . . . the rest of the pictures.
My kids are cute when they sleep. Well. All kids are cute when they sleep. But I love checking on them before I go to bed at night.

Cecily is not prejudiced. Winnie the Pooh sheets, My Little Pony blanket, Barbie book, Frozen microphone, plus stuffed animal roll call of Snoopy, Lamby (Doc McStuffins), Umbreon (Pokemon), and Toothless (How To Train Your Dragon).



Emilia looks so grown up in this picture.

Just call her Bright-Eyes.

Again with the grown-up look.

Marbles are picture-worthy.
The girls have taken to having church with their stuffed animals on Sunday. I love their creativity and devotion.



I made this chocolate cake for dessert tonight. If you don't hear from me, I overdosed on chocolate, sugar, and fat. Send help.

Ready for an afternoon at Grandma and Grandpa's.

I just thought this was funny. The difference between how Steve 'goes through the mail' and how I do.

1 comment:

Nicoletta said...

I laughed out loud at the mail pictures. It's exactly the same at our house. And the rest of the lost is awesome too! Good to know what you have been up to.