Tuesday night we all went to DI together, and since Steve got home from work later than I anticipated, it was a late outing for the girls. So they were crazy. (read: Mira was running all over the store screaming and being totally defiant. Erg.) We needed to go to DI because Steve wants to be discord for Halloween. Since I'm going to be the one making most of his costume, I didn't want him waiting until October 27th to figure out what he was doing. We did some research the previous week, so we knew the direction we wanted to go, and on Tuesday, we did the shopping. If you don't have small girls in your house, you probably don't watch My Little Ponies, and therefore you don't know who Discord is. He is a "bad guy" who causes chaos in Equestria. The character is voiced by and based on the character of Q from Star Trek: The Next Generation. Here is a picture of him:
So far, I've gotten his horns done and cut up a poor, innocent stuffed Valentine's gorilla for a wig to sew them to. Steve helped me, and we both agreed that it felt a little weird cutting him to pieces even though he'd never done anything to us. Hopefully he'll feel good serving a purpose as a hairpiece.
On Friday night, we took the girls to a pumpkin patch here is Springville that has a ton of activities for kids and is totally free. It's called Jaker's Pumpkin Patch. They had free wagon rides pulled by a tractor, some cages with small animals like goats (or sheep--I didn't go over there, so I'm not sure what it was), pigs, and a mini llama, some slides made of that black-ribbed construction tubing set on hay bales, a jump pit full of corn kernels, a mini-maze for the small kids, a "fort" for climbing on, and a large "maze" for the bigger kids, which was really just a place to run around in. The only thing that cost money were the pumpkins and we didn't even buy any of those.
![]() |
| Steve and Emilia figuring out which way to go next. |
![]() |
| Mira coming out of the maze (in pink). |
Saturday was mostly uneventful. I was frustrated with not getting anything done and not being able to get anything done, so I ended up sifting billions of rocks out of the dirt in the bed in our back yard in an attempt to find a place to plant iris bulbs I got for free from a neighbor. Honestly, it was more like sifting dirt out of my rock bed as the rocks made up about 3/4 of the volume of what was sifted. I supposed that's what I get for living this close to a mountain.
In the afternoon we watched the BYU football game online. It was a crazy game! BYU barely won 47 to 46. BYU made records in both how many plays were made (115) and how many first downs (41). BYU had over 600 yards of offense and gave up 120 yards in penalties. Insanity. But it was a really fun game to watch. I didn't even crochet like I usually do watching games.
I also got to go see a chick flick with my friend Gina Saturday night. We saw Austenland. It was good to get out. And it was also good that Cecily didn't need to eat while I was gone. She WILL NOT take a bottle, so Steve would have been up a creek (read: crik) if she had needed food.
One last thing...I tried to do a post on this earlier in the week, but my phone hasn't been functioning well since it's almost out of storage and I haven't figured out how to delete (or decide what is) unnecessary stuff.
Emilia really impressed me a couple times recently. First, her school did a fundraiser a couple weeks ago. It was a "walk-a-thon." The kids collected donations (either per lap or single amount) and then one day at school, all the kids ran/walked laps on the track for an hour. They each got a card like the one above, and someone marked the card each time the child completed a lap. One lap=1/4 mile. Emilia showed me her card when she got home. She did 18 laps! That's 4.5 miles--in an hour. And she's only 5. I was floored.
Then, a few days ago, she came to me after school and said something about being VIP. For kindergarten, each week, one child is highlighted, and that person is called the VIP. They bring a poster telling about themselves, and they can bring a treat, and they get special treatment for that week. She started out by saying, "Mom, when I'm VIP, I'm going to pick Sam and Jarom to get Smarties with me." I didn't realize they got to pick 2 people to get smarties with them, but I wondered why she would pick Sam and Jarom instead of her friends Elli and Alexia. I asked her, "Aren't you friends with Alexia any more?" And she responded, "No, I am friends with Alexia. But Sam is so quiet, and Jarom hasn't gotten picked in a long time." That just melted my heart and made me proud to be her mom. What a sweet girl I've been blessed with.



1 comment:
Wow. That is so, so sweet of Emilia. What a good girl. And I think it's funny that you start out this post by saying you're normal and then go right in to how Steve wants to be the my little pony villain for halloween. I'm gonna call that abnormal. :)
Post a Comment