Sunday, June 19, 2022

Father's Day miracle

We didn't have much on the calendar this week, but I felt like I spuddled the heck out of this week. (If you don't know the meaning of that word, you either have to look it up or join my book cover facebook group.) :)

The two things on the calendar were Emilia's writing camp and a dentist appointment for me.

The thing about the writing camp was that it was in Draper EVERY DAY from 8:30 to 12:30. Draper is 30 minutes from our house. So I was in the car for two hours--at least--every day this week. pfft

The thing with my dentist appointment was that I hadn't had my teeth cleaned in like 3 years. Since I was pregnant with Jules. With the moving and the PPD and the having another baby and more PPD, I just didn't get around to it. And then I was embarrassed to have anyone look at my teeth after that! But I finally bit the bullet, so to speak, and made an appointment. I'd never been to that office before, and I likely will never go again. But I totally would! They were amazing!

These pictures are from the previous week. Steve took pics of Mira and Ces at the carnival and I had to get pictures off his phone today, so here you go:



I did finish this wreath this week. I kinda love how it turned out.


I'm not sue why these got put in this order, but these are some more pictures from Steve's phone. This was Mira's gymnastics exhibition performance the last week of May.






Mira did have gymnastics as usual on Tuesday. And Wednesday something happened in the evening, but I can't remember what. Thursday, we went and visited my Mom at her house because her vehicle broke down after they arrived (silver lining!). Friday, Cassie came over again and hung out until Saturday afternoon. We also straightened the house, did grocery shopping, scrubbed paint out of carpets, vacuumed, and finished Sunday School and Primary singing time lessons on Saturday.


That night, Camber and I attended a concert that a friend of hers was singing in. It was at a cathedral in Salt Lake and both the building and the singing were amazing. I would have bought one of their CDs on the spot if they'd had one. It was gorgeous chorale music and they filled that place up with praise to God. I loved it.

Today was Father's Day and we had my parents, the Jaramillos and the the Frohlichs (most of my family) over for dinner. I think Steve had a pretty good day. He had to change a couple of poopy diapers and he lost a game of Lords of Waterdeep, but his singing time activity went off so well people were stopping me in the hall to compliment it, he got hamburgers and potato salad and baked beans and cucumber salad for dinner, he got to play quiplash with me and the kids, and got to talk to his parents for a while. Oh, and Emilia drew him a picture of a character from his current favorite computer game, Cec, Mira, and Jules made him cards, and I got him a personalized phone/tablet docking station with places for all his pocket junk.

Steve and I also fasted today about the move to Washington. I can't remember what all I've blogged about it, but we have both felt that God wants us to move there. We don't know the exact reason, but we feel like he's telling us that that's where our family needs to be right now. The move makes very little financial sense though. The housing in Washington isn't a TON more expensive than Utah, but we got into this house before the housing market went up, so our mortgage is relatively low compared to the worth of our home currently. Moving to this new house in Washington will more than double our mortgage payment, forcing us to cut back our 401k contributions to almost nothing in order to afford it.

We were so excited to finally get our contributions up to the full amount and to be funding the employee stock purchase program and to be saving for college for our kids and now we're going to be able to do none of that. We won't have extra money for vacations or eating out or anything above our basic day-to-day. So Steve, rightfully, is extremely worried about putting us in that financial situation. Neither of us understand why God would want us to set ourselves back like that.

So today we were fasting for peace about the move. For revelation about how we might afford this new house. For help understanding what needs to be done.

First, I felt prompted to look at the housing market here in Utah. When we were looking at selling last fall, the houses near us were selling for between $500k and $560k for similar specs. When I looked today, the cheapest house in our neighborhood was listed for $635k. That's almost $100k more than what I was expecting to get last fall. If we can get that much for ours, it will drop our mortgage payments by a big chunk.

Then at church, the speakers were asked to speak about the need for a church (as opposed to just living a righteous life without church-going). It was an older couple who was asked to speak. I think she said they'd been married for 50 years. She talked about how they'd moved from Utah, to Oregon, to Texas, to Japan, to Michigan, and back to Utah. They've been in Utah now for 20 years. Steve leaned over to me during her talk and said something to the effect that if they could do all that moving with 5 kids, we could probably do one measly move to Washington. :)

And finally, we were prepping for dinner with my family when Steve got a phone call. He thought it was his parents, but it was actually the mortgage broker for our home builder. She said she was calling in the hopes that we could get some paperwork to her soon because she had our house slated to be finished on September 15th.

What?

They'd told us October at the earliest and possibly even early next year. September 15th is WAY sooner than that. We filled out an application for an apartment this week that would let us live there for 5 months, which is the shortest amount of time we could find that was anywhere near affordable. It's available at the end of July. So we would have been renting until November. But if school starts on September 7 and we close on the 30th, we would only need to be renting for a month. Renting that apartment until November and having to pay our mortgage on the new house, too, would have killed us financially. It was so strange for that mortgage lady to call us on a Sunday afternoon. But God was watching out for us. And showing us that he's aware of us. It was totally a miracle in my book.

So.

I supposed this means that we still don't know exactly what we're doing. But we're getting closer. And we know we're on the right track. Happy Father's Day!

No comments: