Monday, November 18, 2019

Calming down

I haven't posted in a while! It's been a manic, chaotic mess around here for a while, but things are calming down, so I'm going to try to get back into posting regularly.

We ended up staying with my parents from the 19th of August until September 10th--way longer than the week we'd been planning. This was mostly due to deciding to replace the carpet in the whole house. It was going to take them a couple of weeks to get us in, so we decided to paint the whole house before the new carpet went in. The house is 3000 square feet and I painted about 80% of it myself before the carpet was installed on the 23rd.

We didn't move anything but beds and kitchen stuff in before the carpet went in, so we "camped" for 2 weeks and I pretty much never changed out of my painting scrubs. Steve had the week of the 16th and the week of the 23rd off, so I thought he'd help me cruise through the painting. Instead he came down with a sinus infection that knocked him out for over a week.

He did get on antibiotics in time to be well enough to pull out all the carpet. I didn't have to do any of that. Nick came and helped with painting and some of the carpet pulling. And my parents came for a couple of mornings to help paint, but it was pretty grueling.

The week the carpet went in, I was exhausted and needed a break, so we decided to take the kids on the vacation we didn't get to go on during the summer because we were moving.

We decided on renting a cabin near Yellowstone National Park. It was a 2 room cabin at a KOA with an indoor pool, which I thought was perfect because if we had to sit around while Jules napped, the kids could at least swim.

It wasn't until we checked in that they told us the pool closed "for the season" just that week. Why have an indoor pool if you're just going to close it when it gets cold? Mid-week, they closed one of the only 2 bathrooms in the whole campground, too. I was super peeved about that.

Other than that though, it was an amazing vacation. We loved the landscapes and the wildlife. We would have loved to see more variety of animals, but the ones we did see were fascinating.

Once we got back, I really cracked down on getting us unpacked and settled in. Plus, I broke my computer the week before we moved to the new house, and in order to pay for a replacement, I offered local friends family photo sessions for $50. I got six families to take me up on it, so I was busy taking and editing those photos as well.

The week before Halloween, I started to put together costumes for my kids. Emilia wanted to be Sailor Moon (an anime character), Mira wanted to be a fox, and Cecily wanted to be Toothless the dragon. While I was buying pjs for Mira's costume, I found a pair of red striped pajamas and just had to turn Jules into the baby from the movie Labyrinth. And since Steve didn't seem excited about being the Goblin King, I decided to make that my costume this year. It is probably my favorite costume ever. Jules was just perfect for it.

We've had play dates, and I've built shelves. We rearranged the items still in the garage so we could fit a car in there. I've bought stuff off KSL and at DI to decorate the girls' rooms and Steve got a new computer desk since lost the built-in one at the other house. We've been having a lot of movie nights and game nights since everything is so far away here. And we bought a membership to Thanksgiving Point so we can go there whenever we want. Over fall break, we tried out the new Butterfly Biosphere and loved it, and we went to the dinosaur museum, too.

We're getting family pictures done of us on Tuesday, which I'm really excited about. And the weather decided to cooperate and not get cold until Wednesday, so everything will work out perfectly if it will just decide not to change in the next 48 hours.























No comments: