Monday, July 17, 2017

Cousins in town is super fun

Phew! Cousins in town is super fun. Nicole and the Nelson cousins are staying with Grandma and Grandpa Watts for two weeks until they can move into their new house in Seattle Washington. My girls are so sad that they're moving away, so having this time with them has been a boon to them.

Before I get underway with the week, I wanted to put in another photograph gallery by the talented Mira:






Also, Cecily drew a self-portrait at church on Sunday and I thought it was adorable:


Okay. Now back to our week. :) This week, we spent almost every day with the Nelsons. We were supposed to spend every day, but Kate was throwing up Tuesday morning, so we took a break that day.

Monday, we all went bowling. That's three times this year for me and my girls, and I finally felt like I was mostly on my game. My kids were also courageous this time since their cousins were there. We still had bumpers up, but the Nelsons throw the ball down the lane instead of using the ramp, so all of my girls tried throwing the ball down there, too. I was impressed at how well they did with it!

We used our day on Tuesday to do laundry and housecleaning and the girls played with friends in the neighborhood. Tuesday night, I tried something new that I'm so excited about. I wanted to do gymnastics when I was little, but we could never afford it. I loved watching the olympics, and gymnastics--all the events--were my favorite part all through childhood. So when my kids started going to gymnastics, I got to watch all these teenagers doing backflips and front handsprings and such and once again, I was fascinated. But some of these kids were bigger than me--heavier, taller, or less muscled. So I started thinking, why couldn't I try doing it? I'm in good shape. It's something I've always wanted to try. Why not? I asked at the place I have the girls doing gymnastics, but the 20-year-old at the front desk basically laughed at me (rude!) 😜. So I dropped it for the school year. I had a lot of stuff going on anyway. But when the summer started, all the gymnasts are at the gym at the same time and I had to watch all the teenagers doing tumbling again, alot of whom don't listen to correction, don't care that they have the privilege of being there and don't try very hard. So I called the gym in Springville and asked if they had an adult class. They said yes! They were starting one the very next day, which was Tuesday. So I went. And love love loved it! SO MUCH FUN. I hyperextended my knee (but not too bad--it's fine already), but I learned to do a front handspring on the trampoline! Eeee! I felt like a giddy schoolgirl afterward. I will definitely be going again this week.
Cecily's magnetic creations

Wednesday, Nicole watched the kids in the afternoon while I went to the temple, and then we had dinner together.
I had to go to the Mt. Timpanogos temple since the Provo one is closed for cleaning.


Thursday, after cleaning the house (again!), we met Grandpa and the Nelsons at Thanksgiving Point discovery museum. Since my knee was still wobbly from Tuesday, I wasn't looking forward to walking around a bunch and the chaos at the discovery museum always sets me on edge. But I made it through with only a headache and then treated myself to wingers afterward while the girls ate Little Ceasar's Pizza. After I put the kids in bed, Steve was having game night, so I ran to the library to pick up a hold that had come in and made gluten-free brownies to eat while I snuggled in and read the whole book in one sitting. All in all, a very good day.

Emilia, Jane, and Meg being magnified at the Museum of Natural Curiosity

Friday, I wanted to make strudla (homemade german food) for everybody, plus we planned to have the Nelson cousins stay overnight for a sleepover at our house. When we made the plans earlier in the week, I wasn't thinking about the family portrait session I had scheduled in Salt Lake, so it ended up being a crazy evening. I still made dinner for everybody, but didn't eat it with the rest of the group. Instead I drove to Murray to do the pictures while Steve and Nicole fed the girls and put a movie on for them. They decided not to do the sleepover that night, so I worked on my book after the girls were in bed.
I made gluten free strudla and it turned out really good!

Saturday, Emilia went birthday shopping with Grandma and Grandpa Watts, Steve took the other two on a daddy-daughter date, we scrubbed floors, mowed the lawn, cleaned bathrooms, and -- get this -- bought tickets for a trip to London for me and Steve! I've never been outside the American continent (I've been to Tijuana and Calgary, Canada), so this is SO exciting for me! A wonderful opportunity for sure.
Everybody singing Happy Birthday to Emilia, Emily, and Michaela

Sunday we spent with the family again, and this time, the kids actually did stay overnight. Doesn't that sound like a great week? I certainly feel blessed.

There was a storm and a double rainbow after dinner

No comments: