Sunday, December 13, 2015

Cutest elves ever

We're here at Nick and Wilda's and I'm glad to be done with another week. The month between Thanksgiving and New Years always seems to run me ragged. It seems to run most people ragged. Which makes me wonder, are we really honoring the spirit of the season by doing this to ourselves? Is there another way to celebrate that wouldn't require so much busy-ness and would allow us to focus more on the Savior? I haven't come up with an answer to those questions yet. I'd love to hear your ideas if you have more insight than me.

This last week, we had a couple Christmas-related activities. We decorated our tree for last Sunday. Steve was wise and decided to do it in the evening after we'd gotten PJs on. Then when Cecily decided to be a terror, we just stuck her in bed and went on with the decorating.  Wednesday, Steve worked from home so I could take Emilia to the Ballet West production of The Nutcracker at Capitol Theater in Salt Lake. It was an 11am mantinee for a bunch of schools. Surprisingly, the children all behaved themselves well and it was a beautiful production. Emila threw a fit at intermission that her cousins all got nutcrackers and she didn't (she brought one from home). She also was not happy to have to sit through the whole show or the drive home. But a stop at McDonald's for a Pokemon happy meal improved her spirits.


I also had writing group this week, with submissions to read. But since it's Christmas, I also made gifts for everyone. Below is a picture of a bookmark I made for them. I laminated them after this, but I forgot to get a picture of that before I gave them away.


Friday I got to hang out with a good friend, and Saturday, we did some decluttering and I got to write for a few hours. Writing was heavenly. And I'm so close to finishing this book! I'm excited to be done with a first draft so I can move on to editing.

Saturday was Nick's birthday, so for our dessert tonight, I made his favorite: carrot cake. I still have carrots in my garden because my kids won't eat them if they're not baby carrots from the store. Here's a monster one I picked. Crazy thing.


I got these flowers from a friend for my birthday. I also got a bouquet from Steve, which I didn't get a picture of. I love having beautiful flowers around the house at any time of year, but it's a special treat in the middle of winter.


Since we got all the Christmas decorations out, we of course found the "stylish yulecaps" as Steve calls them. The girls have had a lot of fun wearing them this week.




Surprisingly, I'm not freaking out about Christmas gifts this year. I have a few more to purchase. Mostly for Steve. I have an idea of what I want to give him, though, so hopefully, I can continue with the calm in that department, because I don't seem to be calm in many other areas.

Next Sunday we're having the Frohlich family Christmas celebration since Megan will be in town from Colorado. So the girls will have lots to entertain them after that. I'm looking forward to the new entertainment. The mess, not so much.

1 comment:

Stacey Wright said...

I've been feeling a lack of Christmas spirit this year too. Let me know if you solve the problem!