I realized just before Thanksgiving that I hadn't really updated everyone on the most life-changing thing that has happened lately. Most of you know that I had been breastfeeding Mira and eating a fairly drastic diet because of her reactions to every formula out there AND the things I was eating. I had been avoiding milk, soy, wheat, and eggs for about 5 months. And if that had been the only issue, I think I could have gotten through her first year on my crazy diet without much issue. HOWEVER. Mira refused to eat solids--anything and everything we tried, she either gagged on so badly she would throw up everything in her stomach, or she would take one bite and stubbornly refuse to open her mouth again. I also was getting no sleep. Mira woke up every three hours day or night to eat. Try not sleeping for more than 4 hours at a time EVER for 7+ months. It takes it's toll, believe me. Also, I was in a lot of pain because Mira was nursing so badly. She would latch on and pull her head back with all her might, pop on and off over and over, try to roll over while still latched, etc. And she wasn't even eating everything I was producing because I was getting engorged. AND when I took her to her 6 month check-up, I found out she was dropping in the weight charts, while growing in the height charts. For those of you who don't speak "baby," that's bad. Kids should remain fairly constant in their percentages, so as they grow, the follow a curve. Mira wasn't doing that.
I thought I was going to have a mental breakdown.
Come to find out, most of those things were related. To stave off going crazy, I decided to take Mira to a new doctor. She was being seen by our family doctor, but I didn't feel like we were anything more than a number to slap a bandaid on there. So I found a recommended pediatrician and took her in. I told them up front that I didn't care if anything changed necessarily, as long as they listened to the problems I was having and told me I was doing what I was supposed to. To my great joy, they did listen, and they helped make things better! To condense a long visit, I'll just say that they ended up suggesting trying to give her goats milk with vitamin supplements. I didn't think it would work because of her reaction to cow's milk and an attempt by me to eat mozzerella goat cheese that ended in a rash for her. But to my surprise, after a few days of giving her a few feedings of goat milk--no rash, no fussiness, no throwing up. So I took the plunge and moved her over completely the Thursday before Thanksgiving.
Life is so much more manageable now!
I don't have to cook from scratch EVERY meal we eat (I still make most meals at home, but we can have a frozen pizza once a month, and I can use canned cream of chicken soup if I want to, instead of having to make it from scratch). Mira is happier because she's not hungry all the time. She immediately started putting on weight--I could tell she was chubbier within a week! She started SLEEPING better! For the first time since she was born, she has slept for more than 4 hours at a time (some nights even 7 hours)!
I feel like a new person!
She is still rather picky when it comes to solids, and I still am hoping for longer and longer sleep times, but all in all, I feel blessed that things are improving. (And that I got to eat pie at Thanksgiving!) Thanks to everyone who has loved and supported me in so many ways with this challenge. I love you all.
2 comments:
I was thinking about you the other day, and the last conversation we had (when you were still figuring out all the allergy issues etc), wondering how Mira was doing.
I'm so glad that you found something that worked! I did goat's milk with J instead of cow's milk once we were done nursing. He seemed to like it alright, and his weight gain certainly didn't suffer!!
Hope you have a good Christmas!
I had no idea that it was so bad! I would be the grumpiest lady ever. I am so, so glad for you that you can be normal-ish. :) Yay for goats!
Post a Comment